Thursday, January 7, 2010

Experience the Country You Are In

I've been in Guatemala for about a month now, and I'm starting to understand the culture. There's no better way to experience it than living it.

Well, I'm experiencing a new aspect of it now. Today I got to experience finding a dentist, or more specifically, an orthodontist. Then I got to experience checking in, and listening for my name in a crowded waiting room reminiscent of some 50's movie; all the while hoping that I checked in properly and that my name will be called. Then, I got to experience describing my symptoms to the dentist. Then, I got to experience trekking across town to find the x-ray place to get x-rays.

Things that we take for granted in our home country are a new mini-adventure when you're a weirdo from another planet. But, in spite of towering over the 5 foot tall populace, the people here are super-friendly and go out of their way to help me, all the while, all of us always laughing at my rotten Spanish and Tarzan sentence structure.

So... I signed up to have some major dental work done. Something that would cost me $25,000 in the US (actual quotes) is going to cost me $2,500 here. It will take about a month to knock it all out, so, it looks like I'm going to be here another month at least. Yeah, it will cut my trip short, but this is something I've wanted/needed to do for years and I think the trade-off is worth it. I'm kind of excited about it. (who the hell could be excited about seeing the dentist?)

Don't lose hope dear readers. I'm sure something exciting will happen in the next month to keep your eyes glued to this ride report. I'll at least remember to bring my camera and take some pics of the dentists office



No comments:

Post a Comment