Sunday, November 29, 2009

Villahermosa to San Cristobál de las Casas, Awesome!

I thought today was going to be a short, uneventful ride to San Cristobál, but it turned out to be way cool.


I'm a few kilometers outside of Villahermosa, just minding my own business, when I saw a bunch of bike headlights in my rearview mirror. I had my chinbar up, smoking a cigarette going about 60 mph when these guys blew past me like I was tied to a tree. Wow! These are the first big bikes I saw since I've been back to Mexico, number one, number two, these guys were hauling! I spit out my smoke, dropped the chinbar and attempted to catch up. FAT CHANCE! With my speedo showing 110 mph with me laying on the tankbag they were still turning into tiny dots on the horizon. Bummer, I lost them. Oh well, I guess I'll get some gas. Got gas and five minutes later there they were on the side of the road. There were:

990 KTM Adventure

690 KTM SuperDuke

2 or 3 R1's I believe

A Repsol Honda





I pull over grinning and yelling holy guacamole, you guys are fast! Introductions are made and we stand around for just a bit until it's time to take off. They invite me along for the ride. Fortunately, the pilot of the 990 had his wife with him so he took it easy. If it weren't for that I would have never been able to keep up. Apparently they all come here to this area on Sundays to ride the twisties - and twisties there were. These guys have balls of steel, that's all I can say. Whoosh, they were gone, knees on the deck and everything.







We stop off at a restaurant way out in the country and have a delicious meal. One guy speaks almost perfect English and he was a big help. Another guy spoke a little English and he was trying to teach me Spanish. I was trying to work it, but was making me sweat. He was a tough teacher!




As usual, I can't remember names, so if they read this, I hope they email me so I can add names to this report Anyway, it must be a biker hangout as I saw a large cruiser and about 4 more BMW's.


Anyway, lunch was great, and with typical Mexican hospitality, the English-speaking rider bought my lunch. Thanks again dude!


After that it was a race to a place called Siempre Verde and it was here where I reluctantly bid farewell as I knew I needed to be in San Cristobál by dark. They drew me a map showing me a shortcut with many curves. I missed the turnoff by about 5 miles or so, so I backtracked until I found it. It was awesome! Really tight 1st and 2nd gear turns. The traffic was relatively light, but the road conditions varied, so I had to stay on my toes. It was a great ride into town. This road was not on the map









No comments:

Post a Comment